Taking a long road trip this summer or flying to Europe? Here are some handy healthy snacks ideas to make sure you don’t give-in to the Cinnabon at the airport (880 kcals for the classic!) or Doritos at the gas station…and of course bring a refillable water bottle wherever you go too!
I also like to travel with my own herbal tea bags for the decadent taste of home (decaf chai for me please).
• Energy bars: Make your own or look for low sugar (<10g),high fiber(>3g). A few brands to try: Kind bar, Larabar, Kashi, FiberOne or Luna/Cliff bar.
• Plain or low sodium almonds, peanuts, cashews, soy nuts, mixed nuts, etc without added oils. Keep servings to a small snack sized baggie (pre-make several as necessary).
• Dried fruit (mix with nuts for a protein boost)
• Pistachio seeds, sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds with shells- this will keep your hands busy (bring an extra baggie for empty shells)
• Trail mix- homemade or from the store, keep the serving to a snack sized baggie
• Canned fruit (in water not syrup and remember to bring a spoon!)
• Instant oatmeal packets (low sugar ideally). Top with handful of nuts for an extra protein boost and/or dried fruit for added sweetness.
• Peanut, almond or apple butter with whole grain crackers ( like Akmak or Wasa). I like Justin’s single serve nut butter
• Air popped popcorn or microwave popcorn (look for low fat, “natural” brands”)
• Brown Rice cakes;flavored (sweet or savory) or plain and spread with peanut, almond, nut butter.
Perishable Suggestions (pack a soft cooler bag with a ice-pack):
• Low fat string cheese or wedge cheese and whole grain crackers
• Apple slices with snack sized packets or containers of nut butter
• Mini Pita and hummus sandwiches-add lettuce and tomato too or eat with baby carrots
• Mini or scooped bagel. Spread with light cream cheese, cottage cheese or peanut butter and whole fruit low sugar jam.
• PBJ on whole wheat bread (>3g fiber per slice)
• 6 oz low fat yogurts, I like greek yogurts in the lowest sugar flavor possible or plain with berries.
• Protein roll ups-roll up turkey, roast beef or light cheese, wrap and pack in plastic
• Hard boiled eggs
• Cut up veggies with low fat dip (you can find this prepackaged in many local supermarkets)
• Hummus with cut up veggies, pretzels or pita chips
• Unshelled edamame (Trader Joes sells these fresh or find them in the freezer section and thaw on the road
• Homemade low sugar whole wheat fruit muffins